2010, Volume 13, Issue 1
The Primary Romanian Radon Standard, a Common Project: IFIN-HH, Bucharest; ICSI, Rm.Valcea; ISP, Timisoara; CEA/LNE-LNHB, Saclay (France)
1 "Horia Hulubei" National Institute of R&D for Physics and Nuclear Engineering, IFIN-HH, 077125 Bucharest, Romania
2 National Institute for Research and Development for Cryogenics and Isotopic Technologies - ICIT Rm. Valcea, Uzinei Street no. 4, P.O. Box Raureni 7, 240050, Ramnicu Valcea, Romania
3 Institute of Public Health, Regional Centre Timisoara, ISPT, Romania
4 CEA/LNE-LNHB Laboratoire National Henri Becquerel – CEA Saclay, 91191 Gif-sur Yvette Cedex, France
*Corresponding author: Maria Sahagia, e-mail: email@example.comPublished: May 2010
The paper presents the following problems which were solved during the deployment of the project:
- Elaboration of the radon standard concept: (i) design of the radon system: the radon generator source, the circuit for circulation, transfer, recovery ; (ii) choice of the standardization method; (iii) conception of an original traceability chain; (iv) definition of the basic requirements according to the international and national Norms regarding the monitoring and reporting of the radon concentration.
- Realization of the radon circuits, in two variants: (i) the preliminary one, from glass, used to demonstrate the feasibility of the system; (ii) the final, metallic variant, provided with the necessary gauges for the control of pressure level and of radon circulation and recovery.
- Elaboration of the method for the absolute standardization of the equilibrium radon decay chain, by liquid scintillation counting (LSC).
- Realization of various types of recipients, with radon as gas and dissolved/adsorbed in liquid scintillator, and their measurement by HPGe gamma-ray spectrometry, ionisation chamber and LSC. Elaboration of a computing model for radon circulation in various matrices: soil, water and active charcoal.
- Establishment of the traceability chain, from the primary standard to the calibrated secondary equipments and preparation of radon recipients with the radon activity certified.
- Study of the LS efficiency influence on the radon measurement.
Primary radon standard system; Liquid scintillation counting; Equipment calibration.
Tag search Primary radon standard system Liquid scintillation counting Equipment calibration